주관 / (사)한국자연미술가협회-야투

후원 / 문화체육관광부

관람시간 / 10:00am~06:00pm

금강국제자연미술센터

GEUMGANG NATURE ART CENTURE

충남 공주시 우성면 신웅리 산 26-3번지

Tel. +82.41.853.8828, 8838

www.natureartbiennale.org

함께 가는 길 ● 오월 초 어느 날 아침 작업실 앞에 다다르니 한 마리 나비가 너울너울 춤을 추며 코끝을 스치듯 지나갔다. 그 녀석은 베이지색 톤에 짙은 갈색무늬를 넣은 날개옷을 입고 있었다. 비록 짧게 스쳐간 나비의 율동이었지만 그 모습을 보고 나는 문득 유년의 기억을 되살렸다. 따뜻한 봄날 나비와 아지랑이가 함께 아른거리는 넓은 들판을 보면 갑자기 눈시울이 젖어들곤 했었다. 그 때 왜 눈물이 났는지 그 이유는 정확히 기억나지 않는다. 다만 어떤 공허함 또는 상실감 같은 것으로 기억된다.

이응우_춤추는 여인_목조_40×35×20cm_2008

사람은 누구나 자연에서 태어나 결국 자연으로 돌아간다. 우리 삶의 시작과 끝이 이와 같으니 인간과 자연의 관계는 불가분의 관계인 것이다. 누군가 말하기를 "현실과 멀어진 만큼 자연에 가까워진 것"이라고 한다. 그러면 자연과 현실은 공존이 불가능한 것인가? 오늘날과 같이 물질적으로 풍부한 산업사회의 일원으로 살다보면 자신도 모르게 자연과 유리되어 간다. 따라서 우리는 우리의 생활을 어떻게든 자연과 조화를 이루려고 노력할 때, 자연은 위기에서 벗어나 우리의 진정한 벗이 될 것이다. 이처럼 자연이 안전해야만 우리도 그 안에서 자유와 행복을 누릴 수 있는 것이다. 오직 자연스스로의 힘, 즉 자연의 원력만이 그들의 질서를 회복시키고 인간의 행복을 보장해 줄 수 있는 유일한 대안인 것이다. ● 돌이켜 보면 30년간 지속된 나의 자연미술 작업은 - 우리의 선인들이 그러했던 것처럼 - 자연과의 동행으로 이루어진 결과물이다.

이응우_Work-Ⅱ_목조_20×50×20cm_2008

유년의 경험 ● 나는 '왕촌'이라고 불리는 공주 인근의 외진 곳에서 출생했다. 그 중에서도 우리 동네는 금강과 왕촌냇물의 사이에 끼인 '중동골'이라는 작은 마을이었다. 그 시절 대부분의 호기심 많은 시골의 아이들이 그렇듯이 나도 산과 들 또는 강과 내에 어떤 생명체가 서식하는지, 그리고 그들의 발아에서 결실까지 훤히 꿰고 있었다. 예나 지금이나 정보가 중요한 것은 마찬가지로 주변의 자연과 환경에 대한 정보를 많이 소유한 아이가 늘 우두머리가 되어 또래들을 이끌게 된다. 이를테면 요즘 같은 때는 어느 개울에 가면 가제를 잡을 수 있고, 다슬기는 꼭 해 그늘에 주워야 하며, 어떤 물고기는 어느 돌 틈에 몸을 숨기고 있으며 도망갈 땐 어느 방향으로 튀는지, 버찌는 언제 가장 맛있게 익고, 머루와 다래는 언제 따야하며, 개암은 어느 골짜기에 많은지 등...

이응우_A Waltz of Spring_자연현장_100×100cm_2011

초자연과 함께 하는 시골아이들의 놀이가 어디 그뿐인가! 우리는 심지어 보물찾기 놀이도 물속에서 했었다. 주변과 다른 색깔의 돌을 골라 함께 확인하고 누군가 물속에 숨기고 나면 나머지 아이들이 일제히 물로 뛰어들어 찾아오는 놀이다. 돌이켜 생각해 보면 그 때의 그 맑고 투명한 물빛이 너무 그립다. 그리고 그 창의적인 놀이를 즐기다보면 늘 하루해가 짧았었다. 따라서 나는 유년기의 대부분 시간을 냇가나 강가 혹은 산과 들에서 보내게 되었다. 그렇게 자라면서 나는 자연스럽게 내 주변의 자연에 대한 많은 정보를 습득하게 되었으며, 이러한 유년의 경험은 오늘날 나의 작업에 있어 매우 소중한 보물과 같은 것이 되었다.

이응우_Mushroom_설치_200×200×400cm_2011

유연한 질서의 교훈 ● 버섯을 소재로 그 표현을 위해 여러 가지 아이디어를 놓고 고민하던 중 뜻밖의 큰 깨달음을 얻었다. 문제의 초점은 버섯 배면의 부챗살을 어떻게 표현해야하는가 하는 문제였다. 처음에는 당연히 기하학적이고 정형화된 것이라고 생각하고 만들려했으나 동심원의 안쪽과 바깥쪽의 살과 살의 간격이 문제가 된 것이다. 그러나 실제 버섯을 살펴보니 그것은 전혀 염려하지 않아도 되는 기우에 불과했다. 왜냐하면 동심원에서 밖으로 갈수록 간격이 벌어지는 문제를 버섯은 아주 쉽게 해결하고 있었기 때문이다. 즉 간격이 넓어 모양이 좋지 않으면 그 공간에 어울리는 크기의 살 하나를 끼워 넣으면 그만이다. 그래도 공간이 남으면 그 옆에 하나를 더 끼워 넣어 전체적인 간격의 조화를 유지하면 되는 것이다. 이 얼마나 명쾌한 해결인가! 이보다 더 확실한 솔루션은 없을 것이다. ● 버섯바퀴를 전체적인 시각에서 보면 매우 질서정연한 아름다움을 띠고 있다. 그러나 자세히 들여다보면 많은 변칙과 임기응변이 숨겨져 있음을 알 수 있다. 바로 이러한 점이 자전거바퀴와 버섯바퀴의 다른 점이며 인간이 계속 배워야하는 자연의 오묘한 아름다움과 질서가 아니겠는가! ■ 이응우

이응우_Mushroom_설치, 대나무, 솔잎, 합성수지_500×400×400cm_2011

The Road that We Travel Together ● One morning in early May, I came up to my studio where a butterfly was dancing with flapping wings, fluttering past my nose and almost touching it. Its wings had a beige tone and dark brown patterns. The rhythmic dance of the butterfly, though fleeting, reminded me of a memory of my childhood. When I saw a wide field with shimmering air and dancing butterflies on a warm spring day, I could feel tears ready to well up in my eyes. I cannot remember exactly why tears came to my eyes at the time. I just remember it was something like a sense of emptiness or loss. ● Everyone is born in nature and returns to it in the end. With the beginning and end of our lives so inexorably connected, humans and nature are inseparable. Someone said, "You are close to nature as much as you are distant from reality." Is it, then, impossible for nature and reality to coexist? Living as a member of today’s industrial society which is materially affluent tends to make us increasingly isolated from nature without realizing it. Therefore, it is only when we make every effort to live in harmony with nature that nature can emerge from a crisis and be our friend. As long as nature is safe, we can enjoy freedom and happiness in it. The power of nature itself, or its "aspiration," to use a Buddhist term, is the only way to restore order to people’s lives and guarantee happiness. ● In retrospect, my work of Jayeonmisul(nature art)which has lasted for the past 30 years has been the result of my journeying with nature, just as our ancestors did.

이응우_Image of Mushroom1_평면에 나뭇가지 드로잉_100×50cm_2011

My Childhood Experiences ● I was born in a remote place, called Wangchon, near Gongju. In this area there was a small village called Jungdonggol which lies between Keum Riverand the stream of Wangchon. Just like most country children, full of curiosity at the time, I knew everything about what kind of life forms were living in the mountains, fields, rivers andstreams from their births to deaths or sprouting to bearing fruits. It was the same in old times as now that information is important. A child with more information than anybody else on the natural environments around them tends to be the leader of his peers. You should know, for example, in which stream you can catch crawfish and at what time of year, you should pick up marsh snails only at sunset, what fish hide themselves in which cracks of which rocks and in what direction they swim away, when the cherries ripen to the best flavor, when to pick wild grapes and fruits of the hardy kiwi berry, in which valley you can find hazelnuts most easily, and things like that. ● The games that country children can enjoy with nature are not limited to these pursuits.We even played a treasure-hunt game in the water. We would choose a pebble of a unique color, which was confirmed by everybody, and someone then hid it in the water before the rest of us jumped into the water to seek it. When I look back, I miss the cleanand transparent color of the water so much. When we used to enjoy those creative games, the days seemed to fly past so quickly. I spent most of my childhood playing by the riversides, in the mountains, and in the fields. While growing up, I learned a lot about the natural environment around me. These childhood experiences became a treasure for my work today. ● The Lesson for a Flexible Order ● Thinking hard about many ideas on how to depict a mushroom in my artwork, I unexpectedly received a great revelation. The problem that I faced was how to express the pattern of the rear side of the mushroom which resembles the ribs of a fan. At first, I thought it was naturally geometrical and standardized, but the intervals between the ribs inside and outside of the concentric circle seemed to be a problem. However, when I observed a real mushroom, it was a needless anxiety. The mushroom solved quite easily the problem of a widening gap toward the outer rim of the concentric circle. Where there is a wide space and it is misshapen, it simply put in a rib of the size appropriate to the space. If there still is a surplus space, it inserted yet another rib beside it, thus maintaining the harmony of the overall spaces among the ribs. What a clear solution this is! No solution could be more definite. ● From an overall perspective, the wheel of the mushroom has a very orderly, systematical beauty. But on taking a closer look at it, there are many hidden irregularities and adaptations to circumstances. This is the differencebetween the wheel of a bicycle and the wheel of a mushroom and the profound beauty and order of nature which we humans should never cease to learn! ■ RIEUNGWOO